Call for Nominations
Edward Maxedon Award for
Excellence, Creativity, and Innovation in Art Education
The Sidney and Lois Eskenazi Museum of Art at Indiana University is seeking candidates for the Edward Maxedon Award for Excellence, Creativity, and Innovation in Art Education. Each year one PreK-12 teacher will be selected. Nominating candidates for this award is a valuable service to art education and your thoughtful participation in this process is greatly appreciated.
About the Award
In honor of Edward Maxedon’s three decades of service to the field of education, the Sidney and Lois Eskenazi Museum of Art at Indiana University awards a teacher each year. The selected teacher exemplifies Mr. Maxedon’s belief in the value of talking about works of art. Specifically, the award seeks to recognize one teacher whose pedagogical practice: 1) inspires students to identify and articulate what they see in an artwork in their own words, 2) ensures that each individual student is heard, valued, and validated for their contributions to discussions about art, and 3) fosters excellence, creativity, and innovation.
The recipient of the award will be invited to the Eskenazi Museum of Art to participate as a guest educator, which may include leading a workshop, facilitating a gallery talk, developing a digital resource, or other activity aligned with the recipient’s interests and talents. The recipient will receive an honorarium for their service and be honored in museum publications.
Send the information below to the education department graduate assistant, Yiming Hu at firstname.lastname@example.org.
You can nominate yourself:
- Nominee Identification and Contact Information: Name, Title, Affiliation, Land mail Address, Email, Phone.
- Nominee Statement: Please write a paragraph introducing yourself and your hopes and dreams for the arts in your classroom. Tell us how long you have been a teacher and about your journey to art education. Share how discussions about works of art are included in your classroom.
- Nominees should also submit a current résumé.
- You must be an active teacher affiliated with a public or private school.
Or, you can nominate a colleague:
- (If not self-nominated) Nomination Statement: A brief statement from the nominator attesting to the nominee's qualifications.
- (If not self-nominated) Nominator Identification and Contact Information: Name, Title, Affiliation, Land mail Address, Email, Phone.
- (If not self-nominated) Nominator must obtain permission from nominee to submit her/his name and a statement to that effect should be part of the submitted nomination.
Nomination Deadline is Friday, December 7, 2018 at 5pm.
Winner will be announced in February 2019.
Thank you for your valuable service to students and the field of education!
If you have questions about the nomination process, please contact Education Department Graduate Assistant, Yiming Hu at email@example.com