1981, Gift to the Indiana University Art Museum from Mr. and Mrs. Felix Haurowitz
ca. 1941–1981, Collection of Felix (1896–1987) and Gina Perutz Haurowitz, Bloomington (by inheritance) 
1926–ca. 1941, Collection of Marie Perutzova (1875–ca. 1942), Prague 
ca. 1901–1926, Collection of Robert Perutz (1868–1926) and Marie Perutzova (1875–ca. 1942), Prague. (Purchased from Bernheimer Gallery)
after 1895–ca. 1901, with Bernheimer Gallery 
 The Haurowitz family lived in Prague until 1939, when they emigrated to Istanbul. In 1948 they moved to Bloomington, Indiana, where Felix Haurowitz taught in the Chemistry department at Indiana University until 1969 (per curator's May 25, 2010 conversation with Mary Swarthout of the Chemistry department). From 1939 until 1968, the painting was hidden with friends of the family, Antonin and Zdenka Kvêton, in Prague.
 Marie, the widow of Robert Perutz and mother of Gina Haurowitz, had the painting on display in her Prague apartment until 1939, when it was hidden with the Kvêtons. Marie was forced to move to Prague's Jewish ghetto, and subsequently deported to the Terezin concentration camp, and from there to Poland in October 1941 (per curator's conversation of May 27, 2010 with Alice Haurowitz Sievert, daughter of Felix and Gina Haurowitz, and Yad Vashem's Central Database of Shoah Victims' Names. Her precise date or place of death has not been determined).
 In a May 27, 2010 phone conversation with the Eskenazi's curator, Alice Haurowitz Sievert stated that her maternal grandfather, Robert Perutz, purchased the painting from Bernheimer (est. 1889) in the first years of the twentieth century.
Provenance research is ongoing for this and many other items in the Eskenazi Museum of Art permanent collection. For more information about the provenance of this artwork, please contact the department curator with specific questions.